Create a WordPress website in 7-Simple steps: Short and Quick guide for beginners
If you want to know how to build a website without hiring any expensive web developer, you have come to the right place. This quick how-to guide will help you get started with your website within 35 minutes or less.
This guide is Optimised for -
Personal blogs Web- Stores Start-ups/business websites Magazine and News websites
You will find step-by-step instructions on how to build the website from scratch without entering a single code.
With our detailed guidelines, you will finally be able to create the website you always wanted.
But first, let’s get an idea about the cost of making business, portfolio, personal, news, or magazine websites.
For those looking to create an e-commerce website, you simply need to add a WooCommerce plugin after creating this site (I will tell you when, in this guide).
Nevertheless, you could also use Shopify platform, which is specifically designed for creating online stores. If you ask me, WooCommerce is definitely a better choice.
How Much Does it cost to build a Website?
While hiring a web developer or using a website builder could cost you $500-3000, creating it by your own will cost you much lesser.
The cost of making a website depends on many variables. However, there are some basic things you will need for all websites. Let’s take a look at these things along with their expenses –
Domain name and hosting- You can get a domain plan for around $12-15. Siteground provide fast hosting plans with great support for as low as $3.95 a month.
Theme: While you can get started with a free theme for personal blogs. Getting a premium theme is necessary for business sites, Portfolio, professional blogs and ecommerce websites. You can get a great theme for $40-60 for lifetime usage.
This will cover the basic expenses for the first year. From the second year, you will have a recurring expense of just $50/year for the domain and hosting service.
Post production expenses- Other than these, you will also need content, marketing, and maybe some customization for your website. These expenses depend on various things like your budget, plan, requirement, etc.
Now that you have a rough idea about the overall website cost, let’s take a quick glance at the necessary steps to create a website.
Quick Introduction to the Necessary Steps
Before we get to discuss these steps in details, there’s something else I need to tell you.
When you want to make a website, you will find lots of useful tips on the internet, including some bogus tips as well. The next section introduces you to some of these tips that you should avoid when creating a website.
Things you should try to avoid-
- Using a Website Builder – Using a website builder makes it a bit difficult to create a unique design for your website. It doesn’t offer total control over your site and your expense would be way too much. Long story short, Website builder platform is not always a better choice than WordPress.
- Buying a Cheap Domain – You shouldn’t get into the trap of buying a domain from places like Godaddy, Bigrock or any other lesser-known registrar. They apply hefty renewal charges and feature a confusing user interface and more. Siteground or Namecheap should be your primary destination for buying domains.
- Choosing a Slow Hosting Service – A low-costing, slow web hosting can be deadly for your new website. The slow loading speed will annoy the visitors and will also reduce your search engine ranking. You should make it a point to select a professional, reliable hosting provider for your website.
- Not Thinking about the UX – UX stands for User Experience, which is the feeling a visitor gets when she visits your site for the first time. To ensure the best UX, your website should feature a clean, simple design along with clear CTA buttons, intuitive navigation menu, clearly visible contact information, and so on. Premium themes could greatly help you with this.
Now you know the loop holes, let’s get started with the step-by-step guide for building a website.
Step-1: Choosing Your Website Platform
The very first step in creating a website is to choose which platform you are going to use.
If you are an old-school web developer or like the DIY approach, you might want to create the website from scratch by writing HTML, CSS, and the other necessary code yourself.
However, getting your hands dirty with coding is not the recommended way anymore. There are several reasons why you shouldn’t do that – you would have to work on a lot of codes, troubleshoot the errors, and would have to spend over $500-1500, in case you decide to hire a professional coder. Going this way will be like reinventing the wheels.
Instead, you should create your website by using a powerful Content Management System.
What is a Content Management System?
Content Management System, or CMS is a specially designed platform to help you create a website and publish content within a short period. Once installed, a CMS will help you with everything from coding to content management.
There are 3 dominant CMS platforms right now –
Other than these, there are some specialized CMS like Shopify for creating e-commerce websites and online stores. Shopify has its own support team, hosting, themes and so forth, but it is only for online stores.
If you are thinking to built an online store, you could either use the shopify platform directly or create the website through this guide and add the WooCoomerce. Either way, it would work well.
WordPress- Best for beginners
WordPress is the most popular CMS platform with a dominant market share in the industry. Its famous five-minute install will let you get started within minutes. The dashboard is clean and offers easy access to all the necessary features. It is also possible to enhance your website by using themes and plugins.
Joomla is somewhat close to WordPress in terms of operation, but the user interface is not as straightforward. What’s more, you won’t find that many themes and plugins to customize the design or to add new features to your website.
Drupal is the most powerful among these three platforms, but it also requires some technical expertise to run a Drupal site. While it can be a suitable choice for building large and complex websites, it is definitely not catered towards the beginners.
According to our discussion above, Drupal is too complicated for beginners, and Joomla doesn’t have that many themes or plugins. That leaves us with WordPress, which is our recommended CMS for you.
Why Select WordPress CMS for Your Website?
Here are the top reasons why you should choose WordPress for your website –
- Compared to all other CMS platforms, it is a lot easier to get started with WordPress. .
- WordPress CMS offers awesome flexibility; you can create any type of website including personal, professional, portfolio, business, news, magazine, blog and e-Commerce without any coding.
- You can choose a free or premium theme for creating different types of websites. Most premium themes comes handy with several ready-made designs.
- There are over 45,000 of free and premium WordPress plugins available to add more features to your site.
- WordPress follows all the coding best practices, which means it is an SEO-friendly platform. You can use a plugin for easy and quick SEO optimization.
- The platform puts special emphasis on security. It is regularly updated to keep up with the latest security and coding standards.
- Since WordPress is so popular, you can easily find solutions to any of your website problems. It is much easier to find and hire freelance WordPress developers in lesser cost.
Thanks to all these reasons, it makes perfect sense to create your website on WordPress.
Step-2: Finding a Domain Name
Once you have chosen the platform, the next step is to select the domain name for your website. If you are an absolute beginner and don’t know what a domain name is, this is the name of your website.
For example, In the URL (https://www.yourwebsite.com), the domain is yourwebsite and TLD is .com. Look for a catchy and unique domain name. After selecting your domain name, you just need to get a hosting package.
How to choose a domain name?
Since the domain name represents you on the internet, you need to select a suitable domain for your website. The following tips will help you to find the best domain name –
- Brand-able name that shows your business!
Find a keyword that shows your business or blog and tells your audience what it is about. You don’t need to have an exact keyword, but you have to be more specific about the name. It should tell your readers what your site is about?
- The Shorter, the better-
Try selecting a single word domain name they tend to rank better on Google search engine. However, most of the single-word domains are already taken, which means you have to go for two or more words. Still, you should try to limit the total number of characters inbetween 6 to 14 and never go above 18.
- Select a Remarkable domain name-
Take a look at the sites you visit every day (hint: Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter), and you will find that all of these are easy to spell. That is why my next tip is to choose a domain name that is easy to type. Don’t use slang or abbreviated words in your domain and ensure that people can spell the domain name when they hear it for the first time.
- Add a relevant keyword
If you are creating a business or service website, you can include the relevant keywords in your domain name. This will help the potential customers to get an idea about the type of the website. And if this is a local business site, you can add the city or state name to the domain name for further clarification.
- Try avoiding hypens
You should never include numbers and hyphens in the domain name. When you have a number in the domain, and people hear the website name for the first time, they can’t tell whether the number is in numeric form or spelled out. The same goes for hyphens as well – people will pronounce www.your-site.com and www.yoursite.com in the same way, while they are two different sites.
- .com or .net or .org would be great!
Selecting the appropriate extension is another crucial factor in choosing your domain name. While there are lots of domain name extensions, “.com” is still the most popular choice, followed by “.net” and “.org”. Therefore, you should try to get your domain with the “.com” extension. If that’s not available, you can try the other extensions.
- Look for the Copyright Infringement
Before you proceed with a domain name, it makes sense to check out if that name is available on the social media platforms and if there is any trademark associated with the name. Having a similar name on your domain and social profiles will help your branding.
If you are unable to find the right name or want to do a bit more research on your domain. take a look at the 8-rules video for choosing the domain name.
Step-3: Getting a Domain and Web Hosting
With all the expert tips provided in the previous section, you will find it a lot easier to select a domain name for your website. Now, all you need to do is register a domain and purchase a hosting plan.
While there are several great hosting, it is not something you should compromise on. Choosing a Low-quality hosting could hurt your website ranking and reduce the page loading speed.
I would suggest you to choose Siteground service. They provides both the domain name and hosting solution.
- Siteground has great uptime speed,
- it quickly connects with your site,
- has a one-click install
- And you can actually get support within seconds via live chat.
Registering domain and hosting- you could register both the domain and hosting via siteground. Simply go to the page given above. select your domain and click on the hosting plan based on your needs.
Bluehost is also a good choice, but they don’t support a lot of new domain extensions and takes more time connecting with your site.
One thing most beginners feel confused about is how to choose the best hosting provider. There are so many hosting companies, with each one claiming to be the best in the industry. How do you find the best one among these?
How to choose the best hosting provider?
While you can sure go with other hosting providers; I would recommend you to just get started with Siteground without any second thought. Nevertheless, here are some tips for choosing a web hosting.
- First of all, you need to choose a hosting provider that offers all the features you need. That means the company should have one-click WordPress installation. You will also need to check out the number of add-on domains, sub-domains, FTP accounts, email accounts, backup, etc. for your package.
- Since you are a beginner, you might run into some problems in using the hosting features. A good hosting company will offer in-depth documentation, support article, video tutorials, live chat, customer care hotline, etc. to help you with these problems. Therefore, you should check out the available customer support options before you choose any hosting provider.
- Uptime score is a critical factor in hosting performance. This is an average percentage of the time when the hosting service was operational. You shouldn’t choose a company that offers less than 99.5% uptime guarantee.
- It makes sense to do some investigation and check out the overall reputation of the hosting company you are considering. Check out their social media profiles and take note of their customer feedbacks, how they communicate with customers, and try to get personal opinions from people who have used the service.
- Most hosting companies will offer an attractive price for the first-time customers. However, once the initial contract expires, you have to renew at the regular rate. That is why it is wise to check out the actual price of the package before you sign up at a lower rate.
And we have found out that SiteGround meets all of our requirements. They offer one-click WordPress installation, have an excellent uptime record of 99.9%, apply their own security, use SSD storage for all plans, and provide robust support (try asking a question if you doubt it).
Once you have find a powerful web hosting provider, its time to install WordPress.
If you want a WooCommerce store or online business store, you can go for WooCommerce hosting which is specifically designed for powerful performance.
Step-4: Installing WordPress
So far, we have chosen the platform, domain name, and a hosting provider for your website. Now, it is time to install WordPress on your site. There are two simple ways to install WordPress –
- Use the one-click method or
- Install WordPress manually.
Among these, the one-click method is the easiest. Here’s how to install WordPress with the one-click method on SiteGround –
#1 Log in to your Siteground account and go to my accounts> Go to Cpanel.
#2 On the CPanel click on any of the WordPress installer, you can click on any of the two WordPress icons (a or b).
#3 Tap “Install” to start a fresh WordPress installation.
#4 Choose protocol (https is a secure SSL, and is used by most of the top sites), Create admin username, password and you email address (you will receive your website updates on this email).
#5 Click “Install” to start the main installation process.
Your WordPress installation will complete within seconds. After that, you can log in to your website by using the admin username and password you provided in Step #5.
And that’s how you install WordPress by using the one-click installation feature.
How to Install WordPress Manually?
On some rare instances, the one-click installation might not work for you. In that case, you have to install WordPress manually. However, the process is straightforward and won’t take more than five minutes to complete.
First of all, download the latest version of WordPress from the official site. Extract the zip archive to your computer.
Now, you need to upload the files to your server. You can use an FTP client like FileZilla to do this or do it directly via Cpanel> Files > File Manager > Upload files.
Here are the step-by-step instructions to upload files via FTP in your SiteGround hosting package. Follow the instructions to connect FileZilla to your hosting account.
In the “Local site” section, find out the extracted WordPress folder. Select all the files inside this folder and upload these files to the “Public_html” folder in the “Remote site” section.
Next, you have to create a MySQL database. Here’s how to do that from your SiteGround account dashboard. Write down the database name, username, and password. You will need this information shortly.
Visit your website. You will notice a message telling you that need to create a wp-config.php file. Click the “Create a Configuration File” button to create the file.
The next page will ask you to prepare all the necessary information. Click “Let’s go” to move to the next step.
In the next page, provide your database details, use “localhost” as the “Database Host,” and click “Submit.”
At this step, WordPress will check the information you provided. If everything is OK, you will see a “Run the install” button. Click the button to start the installation process.
The next page will ask for some basic information like your website title, admin username, password, email address, etc. Provide the necessary information, and click “Install WordPress.”
And that is how you can install manually on your website. From now on, you can log in to your dashboard by using the admin username and password.
Step-5 Selecting a WordPress Theme
WordPress offers a large number of themes, which is one of the main reasons why we prefer this platform. There are two types of WordPress themes – free and premium.
Between these, free themes come with basic design and a limited number of customization options. In most cases, you won’t receive any support or update for the theme. You are also likely to get a limited number of features from a free theme.
These themes should be your choice only for- personal blogs, portfolio pages or those with not the purpose of generating income.
That said, premium themes offer better design, a lot more customization options, SEO optimizations and much better navigation.
You will get access to lots of ready-made designs and layouts to get started with your website quickly. The additional features will enable you to create a better-looking website within a short period. Premium themes also offer professional support and regular updates.
You should choose a premium theme when you want to create a corporate, business, professional, and e-commerce websites.
Before choosing a premium theme, you should check out the demo designs and available features to ensure that the theme meets your requirements. Test the demos on various browsers, screen resolutions, and check out the actual user reviews of the theme.
Step-6: Setting Up Your Blog and Extensions (FINAL STEP)
At this point, you are almost finished creating your website. There are only a few things to do before you can publish the site.
Create the Basic Pages
First of all, you need to create the necessary pages for your website. To do that, log in to your website dashboard, and go to Pages > Add New.
Set up the Home Page
The default setting of WordPress will show the blog posts on the homepage. If you want to set up a different homepage, you need to create a new page first. Then, go to Settings > Reading, select a static page for the “Front page displays” field. In “Front page,” select the page you just created, and click “Save Changes.”
Create a Menu
You need to create a navigation menu for your website. To do that, go to Appearance > Menus. Click the “Create a new menu” link, and provide a name for your menu.
From the left section, choose which pages you want to add to the menu, and click “Add to Menu.” Choose the display location and click “Save Menu” to start using this menu.
Add Content with the WordPress editor
WordPress also allows you to publish blog posts. You can create blog posts from the Posts > Add New page. You will find dedicated sections to provide a title, description, choose the category, tag, add media files to the post. Once you have submitted the necessary information, click “Publish” to publish the blog post.
Installing the plugins and extensions
There are some basic plugins every WordPress site should use. Let’s take a quick look at those plugins –
- Akismet: This plugin will help you detect and block spam comments on your site.
- Jetpack: This is a multi-purpose solution with built-in tools for site analytics, social sharing options, monitoring uptime, free image CDN, social media comments, contact forms, etc.
- Wordfence: This is necessary to secure your site from the common security threats.
- UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin: You will use this plugin to create regular backups of your website data.
- Yoast SEO: This plugin will help you optimize your website content to get better search engine ranking.
- W3 Total Cache: Using this plugin will increase your site’s loading speed for the visitors.
For E-commerce/business website-
WooCommerce- It's a free ecommerce plugin that allows you to start selling anything on your website. Add this plugin to build an online store.
Shopify- Alternatively you can use an online platform specifically designed for making e-commerce stores. Read this guide for making online boutique
Shortcode Ulitmate- This WordPress plugin helps the user to create live lists, buttons, table and so forth. Using this plugin will make the coding work easy breezy. Learn how to use it here.
Each of these plugins is available for free. Depending on your requirements, you may need some premium plugins as well. CodeCanyon is the best place to find out premium WordPress plugins for your website.
Step-7: Website is Live, What Now?
Congratulations! You have built the website of your own. Now it’s time to start working on content and marketing.
For instance, your website will need content. It is always better if you can write the content yourself, but you may not have the time to do that. If that is the case, you can hire professional writers from Problogger, Upwork, BloggingPro, etc.
And you do need to have some basic idea about online marketing to promote your website. You could start with social media marketing and use different techniques for building the website profile.
There are different tools that could help you make your website better and boost your marketing game-
KWfinder: This popular tool will enable you to perform in-depth keyword analysis to find out the best keywords for your website. Do you know low competition keywords ranks better?
SEMrush: This handy SEO tool will help you to research the competitors, track the keyword position ranking and help you get the post titles.
Over to You
Thanks to all the latest technologies, building a website is not as hard as it used to be.
Now that you have read this in-depth guide, it is time to take action and create your own website from scratch. Get started with the first step and work your way through the next steps.
Affiliate Disclosure: We recommend affiliate products from different sources and might receive a commission if you decide to purchase a product using our link.